Skip to main content

tv   Consider This  Al Jazeera  August 27, 2014 1:00am-2:01am EDT

1:00 am
>> i did something positive... >> have people lost hope? >> this is a grown man that shot a little kid. >> or have citizens made a difference? >> glad that somebody that's at least standing up and caring about us man... >> america tonight only on aljazeera america >> after seven weeks of blood shed, israel and hamas reach a new open-ended cease-fire. why did hamas accept an offer that hasn't changed in a month and a half. a former cia director on what makes the islamic state group more dangerous than al-qaeda. welcome to "consider this". those stories and much more straight ahead. >> a celebration in the streets seconds avisisis and
1:01 am
ceasefire. >> a long road ahead. >> russian and ukrainian leaders june. >> expectations are not particularly high. >> 10 years ago, it was al-qaeda. now, it's isis. >> calling them more dangerous than al-qaeda. >> sundayscores how we have to meet the threat. >> it's an attempt to create an ideal university. we want to elevate what an undergraduate degree is about. >> it's not like sitting passively like a sponge. >> all those who made it to the world game. >> short in their inspiring bid to make history. >> let them live up. >> new takes on the ice bucket challenge. >> collecting it from various places. >> we begin with news out of gaza as the israelis and palestinians announce an open-ended cease fire ending seven weeks of fighting that has
1:02 am
left more than 2100 dead in gaza and at least 69 dead in israel. the egyptian-brokered agreement leaves many of the thorniest issues, including hamas's demand for a seaport and israel's demand to future negotiations. when gazans took to the streets in celebration, palestinian mac mood abbas expressed tempered enthusiasm for the deal. >> what nix? what next? we will present to the leadership a vision for the solution and we will continue to talking with the international community, but it must be a clear and specifically vision from a to z do hold murky talks is something that we cannot keep on doing. >> meanwhile is rai> meanwhile is raiiisisi gov reggev. >> many people will be asking: why is it that today hamas accepted the very same egyptian
1:03 am
framework that it rejected a month ago? you wouldn't matly, so much avoided. >> joining me now from, a 7 ario fellow person in task force on palestine. hussein, good to have you here. a lot of people were not expecting this to happen. israel had been very firm: no cease fire while there is still activity, while rockets are still being fired and then we got the cease-fire open ended. tell me what this means and how it happened. >>, i don't think it was that big of a surprise for those who were following it closely because what you could see was the conflict winding do you down. the a lot of ordinance hamas had left to fire was clearly being atrophied both by using it and by israel destroying t they were starting to lose some senior commanders and otisis side, i think there was also a question of diminishing returns. how much more could they possibly accomplish? and were they doing anything to restore deterrence as they put
1:04 am
it or create calm in the south? the answer was no. we reached a point where neither side was creating strappedegic changes on the ground and therefore, a cease-fire became possible. what's interesting is the terms are similar if not the same as what was first put on the table by egypt almost 408 days ago. >> let's play this out. what's happening then? why has this wrling gained ground where the last didn't? >> i can't it's exhaustion on the part of hamas but also on the part of the israeli prime minister. benjamin netanyahu for the first part of this conflict it was popular. 80% approval ratings. he is 38%. >> that's pretty bad. from a political point of view, it's long since time for him to get out. i don't think theusii military was keen on this. they know they can't accomplish much in gaza unless they reoccupy it fully and police the streets.
1:05 am
so i don't think they ever fully realized or agreed with the political leadership that there was any great strategic benefit to this. as far as hamas was concerned, i think they were running out of steam people were getting frustrated with them, at least some people. there was a point of exhaustion and diminishing returns. the time was right. >> this is seems to have puts benjamin netanyahu in pressure. members of the cabinet seemed to not be behind this move? >> right. >> parts of the israeli public are saying this is a job unfinished? >> but it's not finishable. >> that's the point mr. netanyahu miscalculated rather badly when he spoke of restoring det-terrence and of restoring calm to the south. >> can only done by reoccupying gaza fully by israel troops policing the streets a their not prepared to do that. there is no constituency for that in israel everyone in spite of the several wars with hamas.
1:06 am
it was an empty prompts and a political mistake and so i think reece got a political problem hamas has a politic problem. they will realize this is the biggest blow they have taken and that they haven't achieved anything that i can identify that either, amount, wasn't on the table 48 days ago, right at the beginning from the e jipingsdz or, b, it's any different than the 20012 ceasefy agreement they vicinity accomplished much either. >> what about mac mood abbas who was persona non-grata not too long ago with hamas and they formed a unity government and he cease-fire. >> yes. >> what role is he playing here? >> it's intravery interesting. one of hamas's key aims because i think they are always more interfered in their rivalry than anything to do
1:07 am
with israel, a secondary matter for them because i think they are vying for control one of their aims was to establish themselves as the diplomatic and political address for the palestinians of gaza, maybe not in the west bank but at least in gaza between egypt and the rest of the international community weren't allowed to do that president obama has been at the center piece of all of this. it's going to take some manoeuvring, dest manoeuvring on his part to remain in stage. he's got some real challenges here as well because the extent to which he's going to be -- he is now through this unity government going to be responsible for the day to day goverance in gaza or at least in the crossing areas when are responsibility. it's go to be difficult not to come to blows with hamas over some of these issues if they really do try to exercise
1:08 am
authority in gaza above hamas and the other thing is, he has to watch how hamas might try to use the unity government to gain a foot hold in the west bank. they tried to do that and both the pa and the israelis stopped them violently and politically in the past few weeks, couple of months, but they are still, i think, trying to use this agreement, i think really to pass responsibility parts of gaza on to somebody else namely the pa and get back in to the west bank where the action is. if they think that's where the action is, they are right. >> what an interesting development. that you were for joining us. a pleasure to see you? >> thank you. >> a senior fellow at the palestine. >> russian platt vladimir putin and petro poroshenko shook hands tuesday before starting talks on crain. it's already claimed more than 2200 lives. putin later said it was up to poor to work out a cease-fire with pro-russian separatists and
1:09 am
urged him not to escalate ukraine's offensive in the east. poroshenko said a roadmap would be drawn up to make a ceasefire possible and that the talks had been quote tough and complex. meanwhile, ten russian pair atroopers could have used a roadmap. russia's defense ministry said they were quote lost when ukrainian forces captured them on ukraine's side of the border with russia. for more, joined from washington, d.c. by ambassador kirk volker, a former u.s. am bass tore to nado and deputy assistant for european and your asian affairs now director for the mccain leadership. ambassador volker, thank you for being with us? >> great to you to be with you. >> an interesting day vladimir putin told petro poroshenko not to escalate the conflict in crain and just before that, ukraine released video of what it says are russian pair troopers russia, by the way, defense ministry says those people they got you are seeing
1:10 am
on the video here crossed in to the border in to ukraine, crossed through the border in to ukraine accidentally. conflict? >> exactly. this is an al is in wonder land world where the guy that is fomenting, suppliesing troops and weapons has invaded the country. now telling the ukrainians not insa insane. we need to be pushing back very hard on russia for what it's doing. we need to be calling it for what it is, an invasion to take over the territory. they have taken and we need to possible. >> national security advisor susan rice tweeted that russia's military incursions in to ukraine, artat, air defense systems an dozens of tanks and military personnel represent significant escalation warrant of a counter offensive directed by moscow. what is russia trying to
1:11 am
achieve? looking for a military victory in eastern ukraine? are they looking to be provocative? what are they trying to get? >> i think there is a couple of things. one of them is that this plays to putin's domestic audience. second, it's about giving the sense of great nationshood to russia. russia is looking out for the russian-speaking population slounding russian territory. they want those people to be brought in to the fold even territorially inside russia like the 1930s in germany we heard. finally, russia wants decisive influence over the affairs of its neighboring states particularly those that were yut. >> would include ukraine. they are using this for pressure. there is no let up in sight. putin is going to keep going down this road because he doesn't see any effective pushback on him right now. >> you mentioned 1930s germany but the parallels are actually
1:12 am
remarkable pockets of ethnic germans in neighboring countries that caused germany to extend the umbrella of protection over them or at least use that excuse. that is something that countries that are neighboring russia are concerned about right now. >> that's exactly right. i am pleased with how nato has responded with respect to nato members. >> includes the baltic states. we have seen an increase in air policing. we have seen an increase in exercises, in military presence. president obama is going to be visiting estonia on his way to the nato summit in wales. >> is in good shape. what we should worry about, though, is ukraine today, you know, this is not going away. we've got a problem in ukraine, and we should be thinking about other countries that are not nato members where there is a russian speaking minority, such as,fold, in maldonado vmaldova, it could declare itself independent or watting to join with russia.
1:13 am
we have seen russia occupy parts of georgia as well. we have to be vigilant here. >> you at that about playing to a domestic audience. playing on this russian nationalism, the idea that it's us against the rest of the world. russia is good at this, and the ta subscribe to this to some degree. these says are hutting russias's sxheings. could end up being less than zero growth ultimately putin gets the say. they are squeezing us. he is developing enough of a plan that he can continue to work with increased or increasing sanctions? >> he certainly intends to be able to do that he believes he can ride out these sanctions longer than europe is willing to impose them. he believes he can rachet down at any time. then europe will want to bet back to relations as normal. like in world war ii, we had victory gardens. people were willing to sacrifice for a cause. he has convinced the russian people through manipulation and control of the
1:14 am
media in that they have a cause and they are willing to bear sacrifice in the name of russian greatness. >> let's go back to 1930s, german and rope where there was this concept. are you worried maybe europe is sitting there thinking hopefully it doesn't get worse? they did breach a european border for the first time effect you havely since the war and certainly since the cold ward. >> they did it first in georgia six years ago and now they have done it again in ukraine and yes, i think europe is thinking, okay. as soon as this calms down, it's all back to normal and i think they are missing putin. this isn't the normal for him. he is trying to stoke up these kind of conflicts, build the sense of russian greatness, changes things where he can. and we need a much more eventive and stronger up back from europe and the united states. >> what do i -- can you returned with colderwealth and the natural gas worst person that russia has? >> yes because one of the things
1:15 am
that would have some impact on russia would be to restrict sales of nationural gas to euro this would be europe turning the tables and saying instead of being dependent upon russia, we are going to use the fact we are large consumers of russian natural gas as a weapon to hurt the russian economy. apart is betting europe won't do that. the closer wet good to cooler weather, less likely europe would do that. >> one would argue that's true? >> of course it's true. the divenlths here is the difference between a democracy in western europe and an authortarian situation that you have in russia. putin is the sole decider inside russia. he can play games. he is run a risk. it's control the lever of where russian policy goes. >> democratic governments have to think about voters. we saw this week the french government completely resign and be replaced because of failures in the economic policy. other governments in western europe don't want that. that's what they would be afraid
1:16 am
of if their pubs were clamoring. >> ambassador, good to talk to you. appreciate your time? >> my pleasure. >> former ambassador kirk volker joining us. more stories around the world we begin in ferguson, missouri where new evidence in the shooting of michael brown surfaced. a man who lives near the shooting scene was able to capture audio of the scene while he was in the middle of a video chat. at least 10 shots can be heard with a pause in the middle. >> you are pretty. you are so fine. going over some of your videos. >> the f.b.i. reportedly interviewed the unidentified man about his recording but have yet to comment on the authenticity of the tape. next, we head to france where a day after the government was dissolved, a new government has been named in conjunction with his prime minister, manuel vols.
1:17 am
the charge -- the change was made in order to replace members who had regeld against new off theerity measure. the former banker and economic advisor to the president will take up the job of economy minister replacing one who by many was considered the head of the pushback with the 17% approval rating, many see this as the last chance for olan to salvage his five-year term, which will end in 2017. we end in england where manchester united has spent a british record $99 million to acquire a player from real madrid. the 26-year-old arrange en tin y'all midfielder signed a 5 year deed which put manchester united total spending at $215 million. while a british record, five other players had higher transfer fees with the highest being gareth bail transferred for $123 million to real madrid
1:18 am
last year. >> some of what's happening around the world. coming up, we keep hearing the islamic state is the most threatening extremist group in the world. why? a former cia director on the group he called more dangerous than al-qaeda. should someone's background like their family and hometown be relevant to how they are sentenced for crimes? is it prejudice? our social media producer is tracking the top stories on the web. what's trending? >> the als ice bucket challenge has become more than what it used to be. several spin offs highlighting various causes are gaining traction online. i will tell you more coming up. while you are watching, let us know what you know. join the conversation on twitter @ajconsiderthis and on our facebook and twitter pages. >> hundreds of days in detention. >> al jazeera rejects all the charges and demands immediate release. >> thousands calling for their freedom. >> it's a clear violation of their human rights. >> we have strongly urged the
1:19 am
government to release those journalists. >> journalism is not a crime. stuart! stuart! stuart! stuart! ♪ check it out. this my account thing. we can tweet directly toa comcast expert for help. or we can select a time for them to call us back. the future, right? ♪ this doesn't do it for you? [ doorbell rings, dog barks ] oh, that's what blows your mind -- the advanced technology of a doorbell.. [ male announcer ] tweet an expert and schedule a callback from any device.
1:20 am
introducing the xfinity my account app. just base that we needed more, there were new reasons tuesday over the is lallic state group. >> the white house confirmed douglas macarthur mccain realtime died fighting for the isil. senior u.s. officials said mccain was one of about 100 americans to have taken up arms
1:21 am
for the islamic state. multiple sources also said tuesday that the islamic state was holding a 26-year-old female american aid worker for a $6.6 million ransom. meanwhile, president obama has approved aerial surveillance of possible islamic state targets. as officials grapple with how best to respond to the group's threats to attack america. for more, i am joined from washington, d.c. by john mcglocland, the former appe director teaching at international studies. mr. mcglocland thank you for joining us. you have written very succinctly on i.s. and you said us lammic state group is a greater threat than al-qaeda was before 9-11. i want to break that down and find out why you say that. let's start with the base. al-qaeda had a safe haven in afghanistan at least until 2001 thanks to being guests of the
1:22 am
taliban. why do you say that i s. >> has a better situation? >> well, al-qaeda had that base until they did the 9-11 attacks. by november of 2001, we had basically changed al-qaeda out of afghanistan, scatter it in to pakistan and in to the persian gulf. these guys, is, have a huge base in which they are not the guests. they are the government of many parts of this territory, about 4 thrift miles from aleppo and syria all the way to the outskirts of baghdad so it's a much different situation in terms of the territory they have acquired and control. >> and even though there are forces around the world looking to certainly, you know, at least move them out of iraq, they still operate with remarkable impunity in syria. >> yes. that's the other thing that i think we have to think
1:23 am
about when we compare this to 911 and al-qaeda at that time the. al-qaeda lost its safe haven after 2001. these people have a huge safe haven in syria and particularly in the northeast in rakav processs where they have taken over a syrian military facility. so that's a very different situation. we now have a situation in which to destroy any terrorist group, one of the thing you have to do is deny it safe haven. so ultimately, any approach to dealing with is will have to involve a syria component. >> been a lot of development, discussion in the last few days about what kind of threat to the west i s. poses. there are some who say they are busy building their state and trying to and maybe actually having some success in doing so. not really worried about the west in america right now. but you warn that they are much more dangerous to the west than al-qaeda was because they have
1:24 am
got western members with est erg funding. >> i think this is a pay me now or pay me later situation. in other words, right at this moment, i wouldn't say they are we are their primary target or their highest prior to but they will get to us. the reason i think that is among other things, they are seeking to wrestle control the terrorist movement worldwide away from al-qaeda. one of the most certain ways to do that is to score a success here in the home land where al-qaeda made its reputation. >> that would drive home for like-minded individuals around the world that this is the group you want to affiliate with al-qaeda musting reeling for the impact and may seek to revive its ability to attack here so in a way, what i see is a
1:25 am
competition between between groups to get here. >> to be clear, you are saying this could be yet more dangerous for western targets in the u.s. because now you've got al-qaeda trying to make sure that islamic state doesn't steel all of its thunder and islamic state driving to prove it can do something al-qaeda hasn't been able to to do and that is repeat attacks on america. >> that's the basic dynamic but of course the other important think here is that this group by virtue of what's been often discussed now, the fact that they have, you know, upwards of a thousand or 2000 foreign fighters, the largest foreign fighter components, let me put that a different way. they have the largest component of western oriented fighters of any terrorist movement we have ever dealt with including some unknown numbers of americans, people say around 100. >> means there are a lot of people there who can move freely across these borders. like rogers, the chairman of the house intelligence committee said, these folks are one
1:26 am
airline ticket amp from coming passports. >> you know, al-qaeda was run sort of like an ngo, give us your money and we will fulfill our mission kind of organization: islamic state is much more like a busy or, as you have written, maybe a mob family. they get money through kidnapping and ransom, through tolls, through border control and through oil: they don't need donors to support their work. they have donors but they are getting closer and closer to being a self financing organization by the day. >> add oil in to the next, too they have seized a number of large oil feels. bottom line is this is the wealthiest terrorist groove we have ever had to deal with. would he need to really step back and asks ourselves, you know, 1 of the things we used to do in chasing al-qaeda was the slogan, follow the money. here, the money seems to be following the terrorist group and i think we have to ask
1:27 am
ourselves, given that the 9-11 operation cost by some calculations cost al-qaeda about $400,500,000, what can these guys do with the amounts of money they now have? so i think that's another components of it. they have territory. they have access. they have got money, and they have motives so i think the only prudent thing to assume here is over the longer term, they are going to be a threat to us. >> they offer the positive concept of a state as opposed to simply an anti-western negative message. they are giving people an idea that this could be a future. let me ask you about this, though: the one piece of good news that the west has had after is is that web able to have those airstrikes or at least air cover in iraq that has driven them in to certain areas. now we are discussing airstrikes or at least air reconnaissance over syria. does that change the equation for you? >> it starts to change it.
1:28 am
i don't want to present this as a hopeless situation. i would say it's one of the most complicated strategic situations we have ever dealt with. in order to really degrade these people -- and i use the term "degrade more than defeat. eventually they can be defeated but you've got to degrade them along the way. to do that, you need a component that involves the home front, that is a conviction here, the president has to articulate this and the congress has to understand it. there a conviction here there is great danger. the american people have to understand that. second, it needs a diplomatic component, that is a more representative government in iraq and a regional consensus, perhaps difficult to achieve, and you need that military component. yes, the airstrikes, more than 100 of them so far have robbed them of some momentum in iraq but i think the pentagon would be the first to say that what we have done so far is not
1:29 am
something that's going to stop them in their tracks. but it's a start. the fact that they control territory gives you some infrastructure in trying to target a terrorist group, more of an insurgency. these people have a kind of conventional side to their terrorism that gives you a target. so, it's not hopeless. but the main thing i would say is it's going to be a long-ter finish. >> your warnings are sobering. thank you for joining us, john mclaughlin is a former cia acting director joining us and he is with jobs hopkins school of advanced international studies. all right. have you ever committed a crime? probably not but if you did, you probably would think you would be sentenced based upon the crime you committed. right? well, what if i told you that your sentence would also be based on maybe your financial status,
1:30 am
your education, even your family's criminal history. well, you would probably think that was unfair. well, to tell us more is sanya stack,m a professor of law at the co-direct examination offer of their empirical cities. she joins me about the topic of evidence-based sentencing which sounds fantastic, sonja. it sounds like evidence-based anything should be better than the old way of doing things. but you have written extensively about why this is dangerous and why this could get people longer sentences than they deserve. >> yeah. i think evidence-based sentencing is a bit of a misleading term because they like to think all sentences are based upon evidence but in this case, the evidence in question isn't the evidence from the defendant's case. it's based upon past empirical studies of other dependents with similar characteristics and what crimes they went on to committee. so the idea here is
1:31 am
to provide sentencing judges with a prediction, an empirically grand prix dix of the defendant's probability of committing crimes in the future and the biggest problem is that the factors they take in to account in preparing these risk assessments are not just limited to the defendant's past and present criminal conduct but instead go to things that are outside the defendant's control like demographic factors as well as socioeconomic factors and characteristics of the defendant's family background. >> the usual is is that it's too broad not that it's an algorithm and we have made something more scientific? >> yeah. i am not in principal objecting to the use of scientific data to improve sentencing. in fact, i am an myself. i believe data should inform criminal justice policies. in this case, i think we have gone tour too far when we base
1:32 am
sentences on factors if we weren't doing in this supposedly scientific way, we would think these factors were i will legitimate, not just i will unconstitutional. >> let me try to understand what's right and what's wrong about this. we know that in insurance, in automobile insurance, you are priced based upon group behavior. if you are a 24-year-old male, you are going to pay more to ensure your car than a 35-year-old woman is because 24 year males are statistically more likely to get in to an accident. on the other hand, when you have a credit score, it's based on your specific behavior, not your -- not your community's behavior or your group's behavior. so you are sort of arguing that a credit score system would be okay in sentencing but not the insurance-based system. >> right. i think so. i don't know that much about how credit scores are calculated. don't quote me on that. >> sure. >> but what you are describing sounds like the former, the actuarial system
1:33 am
is what this kind of sentencing is based on. in fact, it's often remembered to as actuarial sentencing. while can have one view or another if it's okay for private companies to do that on the private market, when the government does that using the coercive power of the state to lock somebody in prison, i think the moral stakes are much brater and i think there is a reason we have a very strong atachtment in the criminal justice system to the idea everybody should be treated equally based upon what they did and not based upon who they are. >> but, in fact, even without evidence based sentencing, everyone isn't treated equally. we know that in terms of drug sentencing around crack versus different drugs. >> so that's certainly true. not just different sentencing laws for different crimes but, also, there may be disparities in the way those laws are
1:34 am
applied and my other research has been about that. so i don't doubt that we have disparities in the existing criminal justice system, but normally, we have seen those as something that we want the system to root out. >> right. not to institutionalize? >> race, gender. right. and socioeconomic characteristics are traditionally considered things that we don't want to punish people extra for. and if that's happening in su sub rosa ways is something we should eliminate not have the state endorse. >> the original idea was actually to reduce incarceration. america's got a massive incarceration problem. we jail far more people proportionately that any similar society with similar economics and similar gdp. judges and prosecutors were supposed to use these factors, these assessment factors to not give people higher sentences. your fear is that they might actually use them to give them
1:35 am
higher sentences, higher offenders. >> so, false i want to agree to you that we have a mass incarceration crisis and we need to find solutions to it and that many of the advocates of these systems are well intentioned and are looking for a way to reduce that problem. i just think this is the wrong way now, ig it's not quite true that everywhere, the intention is to use these risk assessments only to reduce sentences. i think there are different purposes. >> uh-huh. >> some states like virginia use them specifically for the purpose of dye version programs. >> that's diversion away from incarceration. but others provide them to judges in every pre-sentence investigation report and so then, it's not -- you are not just telling judges when somebody is low-risk. you are also telling judges when somebody is high-risk. i think it would be very naive to expect that the judge will pay attention to the low risk
1:36 am
assessments and reduce sentences but not pay attention to the high-risk assessments. i think some of the advocates are advocating this that they are hopeful that the net effect will be to reduce incarc ralingsdz and some are advocating it for more sort of tough-on-crime reasons or maybe we should reduce sentences for some and increase for others. i am afraid that that is what will happen. >> sonja star, what a great conversation. thank you so much for joining us. ? >> thank you. >> sonja star, professor of law at the university of michigan. time to see what's trending on the web. hermela? >> the als ice bucket challenge is the gift that keeps on giving. the viral sensation has inspired a lot of spin-offs, some of which are gaining traction. on monday, matt damon used toilet water. the actor explained he couldn't use justifying good clean water because he lives in california where there is a severe drought. he is the co-founder of
1:37 am
water.org, a non-profit dedicated to providing access to save water and sanitation to communities around the world. leonardo $100,000. he highlighted another issue: the effects the canadian oil sands have on the climate and the indigenous communities that live in the area. as to the ferguson shooting of michael brown, actor orlando jones poured bullet casings over his head as part of what he called the bullet budget challenge. he was careful not to take sides in the shooting but encouraged people to speak up when they see injustice. palestinian journalist allman used the rebel bucket challenge to call for support of palestinians in gaza who have lost their homes in the ongoing conflict. his video posted on suffered has over 230,000 views. lastly, the rice bucket challenge. also started on the same day is about feeding the hungry.
1:38 am
indian journalist encouraging people around the world to give food to those who may not have access to it. ali, it started with als, but now it's about so much more. >> have you ever seen something like this? sort of a charity fundraising thing that's taken off? >> no. i think the als challenge has inspired people to go for whatever it is they believe in because it's been so success. hurt? >> and the bullet one. >> all right, her mela. good to see you. >> the college of the future without lecture halls, ball and also new research at a new ad blitz puts big tobacco and ecigarettes on the hot seat, the who and the american heart association are all raising new red flags this week. later, a little league team from chicago could have a major league impact on diversity in pro-baseball. >> on techknow...
1:39 am
>> so, this is the smart home... >> saving the environment >> the start point for energy efficiency, is to work with the sun... >> saving you money >> we harvest a lot of free energy >> and so we're completely off grid here >> how many of the appliances were almost a little too smart for us? >> techknow every saturday, go where science, meets humanity. >> this is some of the best driving i've ever done, even though i can't see. >>techknow >> we're here in the vortex... only on al jazeera america
1:40 am
>> al jazeera america presents... labor day marathons >> our government is allowing an invasion >> our most acclaimed series.... back to back to back... toughest place... >> i call that a lot of hard work for next to nothing >> the system... >> a justice system run by human beings can run off the rails >> and borderland... >> a lot aof people haven't got a clue what goes on near the border >> al jazeera america presents labor day marathons >> this is not over...
1:41 am
♪. >> welcome bag to "consider this." i am ali velshi. imagine college with no sports teams, no fraternities or sororities. you could think about the college of the future. the minerva is trying to give higher education that overhaul. it features a hybrid online system. students live in a dorm. orientation begins on sunday with classes starting a week from monday. the first classes ever. let's see how it's going with the man who made it all happen. ben nelson is the founder, chairman and ceo of minerva project, a for-profit project driven to change the undergraduate experience, the former ceo of the very successful online photo service, snap fish. ben, good to see you.
1:42 am
why do we need this? >> we need this because of two factors. number 1, you have an elite set of universities that are right sized for the world circa before the cold war was over, before general wealth increases around the world and political freedoms that allowed bright students stotravel and to seek out the best in american higher education. the other reason is that as the demand for these universities is increased and the supply has been limited, these universities have not had real competitive fors keeping them on top of their game forcing them to innovate in the way that they deliver an excellent curriculum to their undergraduates. so what's necessary in the market is not just more seats available for these really bright students but, also, an increase in the quality of undergraduate experience with them >> when these students who are entering this year graduate, do typically. >> yes.
1:43 am
>> where will they have their degree office what do they have it? from minerva? >> minervakgi. we are incubated. >> harvey mad? >> pamona. some of the greatest schools. >> it's not 100% online. so they go and live in a campus. they, in fact, the cost, i think the first class isn't being charged because it's experimental about $28,000 a year? >> that's right. you have the cost of room and board, which is the bulk of that cost. you have to live and eat and we don't know how to make that any cheaper than the actual cost associated with it. but the tuition components of that is only $10,000. it's a quarter of what the ivory league charges. the difference is even though students are in residents, they cloe cloefterred camp under the circumstances but in the most vibrant cities of the world. spend freshman year in san francisco and in the sophomore year, they will spend one semester in buenos aries and one
1:44 am
in berlin. >> yes. >> they move around the world together >> exactly. in the first year, they are all together in san francisco. the second year, they split in two and they a lot earn nature semesters in two locations and will continue to live in a total of havenseven different cities. >> you are a wharton grad, i happen to know from my family that they do well. you were involved in snap fish. why can you decide to get education? >> it's actually going back to what i really focused on when i was an undergraduate. i come from an academic family. my parents are scientists. sisters are in academic disciplines. when i was an undergraduate, i realized the problem, not so much on the supply side and demand side but really, on the lowering of quality of undergraduate education, so i love to reform the curriculum and at the time, penn was doing well. it was climbing up in the rankings. there really wasn't much of an appetite of focusing on the
1:45 am
reforming of undergraduate he had case. this affected a way for me to take those ideal principles and create an institution. >>pen has done a good job with corsara, you can take massive online courses. this is different. how are you sort of placing this? how are you positioning this because this isn't university of phoenix and this isn't corcera, joining a random class. you are trying to elevate olbermann collaborative learning to a different level. >> that's exactly right. in the fact what penn and other universities are doing with corcera in, many ways proves t point that today's world is completely different. many universities, great universities, they take courses and deliver them in full on line for free. they are free for anyone in the world except for those individuals who are admitted to those universities in which case it's $5,000 per course. >> that's just absurd. the fact of the matter is that
1:46 am
if you take the micro economics oracley one oracley 3 did he ever did he have oracle did he have orcal technology will make it better, more interactive, more acontactive to the student. in a world where unless is free and u bic quit tus, the nature has to be about intensive study of areas that aren't simple, that actually have mon one right answer. we have to look at things from differently facets the that's what minerva is all about. >> we look forward to follow your sksz and see if you can revolutionize higher education. ben nelson, the founder, chairman and ceo of the minerva project. the little teague that could have a major impact on major league baseball. some of the world's biggest health organizations come out strong against ecigarettes. the research is striking. >> that's next in our data dive.
1:47 am
>> an eye opening america tonight special report. >> have you ever seen anybody get shot? >> one year later, correspondent christof putzel returns to the streets of chicago. >> i don't like walk out no more... >> why is that? >> a lot of shooting and stuff... >> a community still struggling against violence. >> i did something positive... >> have people lost hope? >> this is a grown man that shot a little kid. >> or have citizens made a difference? >> glad that somebody that's at least standing up and caring about us man... >> america tonight only on aljazeera america
1:48 am
1:49 am
a report that ecigarettes are a stronger gateway to traditional smokes than we thought. they say kids are more than twice as likely to use traditional cigarettes if they have used e depressed first. the numbers are striking. more than a quarter million kids in middle and high school who never smoked cigarette ecigs last year. >> has tripled since 2011. this has been a big week. the world health organization rejected a claim routinely made by marketers that e depressed produce only water vapor. the who says there is insufficient evidence that e%
1:50 am
sigrets can help smokers. they ban sales to minor making them less appealing to kids including a ban on flavors aimed at children like fruit and bubble gum and want effective restrictions on sponsorship and ads where traditional smoking is banned and prevent claims for ecigarettes as an aid for smokers to quit. the calls came a day after the american heart association issued it's first policy statement on ecigarettes and said they target young people and keep people and threaten to renormalize tobaccouous. they called on the government to cut all sales to minors and sid cigarette advertising reaches 21 million young people. up 250% in the last few years like the world health
1:51 am
organization, the aha also stressed the lack of proof showing ecigs can help smokers quit. the legacy foundation's truth campaign debuted two new anti-smoking as during sunday's mtv music emmy awards. ads shaming celeb gritties. the legacy group is funded by money that big to be acco was forced to pay the states in a 1998 settlement. could the success of an all-african-american team in the little league world series mean more black players in major league baseball? i will explain. >> al jazeera america presents >> i've been waiting for this... i'm so nervous right now. i'm really scared. >> 15 stories one incredible journey edge of eighteen
1:52 am
premiers september 7th only on al jazeera america
1:53 am
jackie robinson would be proud. the all african-american little league team from the southside of is chick which bears his name, jackie robinson west is the united states little league baseball champion. this comes days after mone davis took the country by storm.
1:54 am
this 13-year-old girl from philly with a sent mile per hour softball, the first girl to pitch a shutout in the little league world series history. let's bring in "al jazeera america" contributor dave zirin, host of edge of sports radio and author of brazil's dance with the devil, the world cup, the olympics an the fight for democracy. good to see you. the best little league team in america is an all-africanmy team from chicago's south side. why is this a big deal? it's a big deal because demographically, it defies everything that's happening in baseball right now in the united states. the first all african-american starting team to make the little league world series final since 1980. and over that period, you have seen the number of african-americans in major league baseball drop from 19% to under 8% including several teams that have no african-american players whatsoever and at the college leg, it's even worse with less than six % of rosters
1:55 am
with african-american players. if you take out historically black colleges, that's like between 1 and 2%. of course, there are a ton of players in major league baseball of african ascent who come from the caribbean. as far as the sport being a sport that's at the center of the black sports consciousness which, of course, it's been for so many years with players like jackie robinson and willie maze and hankarian, that's become dislocated dramatically by the failure in urban settings of things like little league infrastructure, boys and girls clubs that have shuterred over the last generation and major league baseball is trying to figure that gap with a program called rbi which stands for reviving baseball in our inner cities. that's really just very few cities have been able to get that off of the ground. >> that's what makes jackie robinson west such a marvel. >> why does it matter because when you look at boors teams in america, while you were
1:56 am
describing that it is low single digital percentages of african-americans, the teams don't look white. >> right. 27.7% of rosters are by folks who were born in latin america, the caribbean, almost entirely, those numbers draw from the diminit can republic and venzuela. i will tell you why it matters because what it is, is like a canary in the coal mine. baseball is a sport that unlike other sports like, say, soccer or even back ofball that really does require infrastructure. vestment. you need coaches. you need fields. you need balls. time. you need actual physical time to teach the game of baseball. the fact does not exist in our cities any more dr. harry edwards, sports sorciologist described it as a canary in a coal mine, symbolic of something
1:57 am
that ails urban america which is big questions about gentrification. >> there are about 200 urban initiative leagues around the country. this team we were just talking about, jackie robinson west, six of the players play in the chicago white sox youth development program? >> right. >> is that having some impact? >> it's absolutely having some impact. and what you are seeing, he though is major league baseball attempting to fill a gap that communities used to hold because major league baseball understands that they are losing out on not just about having talent gu being connected to the heart and soul of the u.s. if baseball is going to be the national pass time in the 21st century, it's going to have to be something that draws on the best and brightest talents, access translated. >> i have to wonder. core urban city, poor urban kids in america can't afford to go to major league baseball games or
1:58 am
soccer or hockey games or basketball games. in terms of being disconnected we are going down that road of being disconnected. >> absolutely. my father has stories of trading games. think about how big the truck of bottles would be to get you in to a sports game tonight. >> mone. let's talk about mone davis. what do you make of this? >> my goodness. first and foremost, the game she pitched last week on espn was the highest rated baseball game on espn since 2007. think about that for a second. that's how many people were tuning in to see this phenomenon. mone davis is a remarkable talent. what she does is two things: one is show gives lie to the ice that softball is for girls and baseball for boys. >> hopeful she will encourage girls to take up the sport. girls did at the 20th century something that was certain from
1:59 am
them with softball as its replacement. the big dream is that mone davis will signal a reconnection of the baseball to young girls in american life. it also shows when mone davis was asked when she wanted, her dream, she said it's to play basketball for the yukon huskics and then in the wnba. volumes. >> it's open to her? exactly. >> that's the pinnacle. >> she couldn't say she wants to player? >> exactly. exactly. wow. was she thrilling to watch, boy, girltion what-have-you. if you can throw 70 miles an unbelievable. >> dave, good to see you. thank you so us? >> thank you. >> all for now. coming up wednesday on "consider this" a senior fellow from the council on foreign relationships who says the islamic state's ideology was created by saudi arabia and they are the only ones who can stop it. the conversation continues on aljazeera.com/considerthis or on
2:00 am
our facebooko google+ or twitter@ajconsiderthis. treat me at ali velshi. see you next time. >> vladimir putin is not backing down, though russia's economy is feeling the pain of sanctions. how the russian president is training his country to be trading independent of the west. >> and ferguson's economic divide. how migration a couple of decades ago set the stage for today's strikes. and taking you down to the louisiana bayou at the center of a natural gas revolution. i'm ali velshi, and this is "real money."